Friday, November 4, 2011
If Lady Gaga were a doctoral student
If there was a movie made of my life, where the mistakes weren't my fault and there was more dancing and costumes made out of serological pipette tips, then this music video parodying Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance" would be it.
Sadly, the issues with my project all stem from my own ineptitude. Today, I literally had to throw a $500 kit into the trash after making a critical error, ruining the plate, at the 2nd-to-last step. After 8 hours of working on it. Pro-tip: Always, ALWAYS, ALWAYS double check your pipette settings. Even if you normally use the exact same pipette for the exact same thing and you were the last person to use your pipette for what you thought was the exact same thing. It is a habit you will thank me for when you are trying to multitask and catch yourself about to pipette 100 ul of solution into a well where only 25 ul should go; then you will rectify the issue and you won't run out of your solution before the plate is actually filled.
Regarding reallocating lab supplies for clothing efforts, I feel guilty even considering making a pipette corset, those things are like $0.90 each! Would they still be sterile after a night on the town? Could I still do cell culture with them when I tire of the outfit? And then there's the issue regarding the fact that I actually can't dance. Maybe I can be the backup dancer in a disposable biohazard suit in someone else's lab life.
Forgive my frustrated post today. All is eventually well; I still have enough sample for another plate so I'll order another kit. An expensive mistake was made, but it is definitely a mistake that I won't ever make again.
Labels:
critical error
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I laughed for a solid hour after watching that video. So true today, and true back in my day!
ReplyDelete